We are now accepting applications! Submit your application by July 30th to be considered for a Fall 2021 Scholarship.
The focus is Afrocentric history. Create a piece that captures some form of Afrocentric history, whether that may be a story, a figure, or an event. For all non-written submissions, e.g. a painting, please include a 500-word (maximum) explanation for the piece. All types of content within the global Pan African diaspora are eligible.
For questions about the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submission Format Options
- Essay (2,000 word limit)
- Artwork (must be accompanied by a 500-word maximum description )
- Video (maximum length 7-10 minutes)
- Poetry (2,000 word limit)
- Short Story (2,000 word limit)
- Community Engagement (2,000 word limit, or multimedia, chronicling an example of your impact within the black community
- Community Engagement Project, a binder of details and results of a pilot program you launched in your neighborhood
- Book Report on a work written by a Black author, and/or focused on a Black historical event
- A critique or annotation of a white account of a Black historical event
Who is eligible?
Eligible applicants include Black rising high school seniors and undergraduate college students across the United States (including U.S. territories) who demonstrate financial need & have at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA. All majors and fields of study are encouraged to apply.
Note: The number of available scholarships will vary each year . Goal disbursement amount for each recipient is $1000.
Scholarship funds may be used for...
- College-associated application fees
Prepare your application
To complete the application, you will need to have the following information available:
- Proof of identity – You will need one of the following forms of identity: a photo of yourself, scanned image of your student ID, link for your LinkedIn profile, or link for your professional website.
- Your Student Aid Report (SAR) from your FAFSA
- Your submission file – File should be one of the following formats: .doc, .docx, .pdf, .jpeg, .jpg, .png, .mp4, .avi, .mov, .mp3, .wav. If file size is greater than 500 MB, you are responsible for uploading the video to a shared location (Google Drive, Dropbox) and sharing the link.
- For video or artwork submissions – A 500 word max description of how your piece relates to the African diaspora.
Privacy Statement: All application data, including your uploaded files, will be stored securely in WPForms. Only your submission file (e.g., artwork, essay, etc.) and basic application information will be shared outside of WPForms with the review committee. Personally identifiable information, such as your name and contact information, will not be shared with the review committee, unless you have included this information in your submission file.